Wednesday, January 15, 2014

MOOC Review: The Future of Storytelling

by Tracy Jones
CTE Web Coordinator


MOOC’s: What Are They?
A Massive Open Online Course, commonly known as a MOOC, provides open access to an educational event via the web. Typically a MOOC has structure, goals, and opportunities for collaboration with other participants. Currently, most MOOCs are free, but as MOOCs gain credibility and popularity, there are movements to incorporate a fee.
For more information on MOOCs, check out this You Tube video at http://youtu.be/mSxTw3pXCj4

The MOOC I am reviewing in this blog is Iversity’s “The Future of Storytelling” an 8 week seminar presented by the University of Hamburg. First of all, the content of this course is fascinating. I consider myself relatively well-versed in current trends in technology, but this course exposed me to many new (and not so new) methods for communicating a story.
I took this course to experience a MOOC first hand. I am interested in eLearning structure and delivery methods. This MOOC delivers most of its content through videotaped lectures and interviews. The creators overlay supporting graphics on the videos that feature animation of hand drawings. The content of the videos use well-known authors speaking to a variety of topics from the history of storytelling to emerging trends.

Additionally, the course leverages discussion bulletin boards and community shared content. It provides links to all the resources mentioned and creates opportunities for participants to collaborate in story creation and peer reviews. In considering how the course functions based on the number of students it attracts and how the creators manage delivery, I found it to be quite professional and user-friendly. As a student in the course I learned a great deal and took away the desire to explore further the concepts and trends introduced.
Transmedia is this year’s buzzword. This is the concept of telling a story using two or more delivery methods or platforms to illustrate a concept. The course describes the Star War’s franchise as a transmedia marketing endeavor. Star Wars spans multiple movie episodes, electronic games, comic books, cartoons, and live events such as Sci Fi conventions. Each user interaction affords the franchise an opportunity to tell a different story using the same characters or environment.

I found this course to be sufficiently thorough to grab and hold my attention, yet broad enough in scope to spark the desire to explore multiple avenues that I might not have easily discovered if I had conducted research on this topic using traditional sources such as written materials or lecture seminars. I am eager to incorporate some of the strategies and technologies used in this MOOC in my own courses. I can only aspire to achieve the level of finesse the creators of this MOOC use to engage their learners.
For a no cost, novel learning experience, try participating in a MOOC. The MOOC reviewed here (The Future of Storytelling) is no longer accepting participants. I suggest the following resources for a listing of available MOOCs:

No comments:

Post a Comment