Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sketchbook Project 2011

by Lynne Cagle Cox

The 2010-2011 school year has begun for some of you and is just around the corner for the rest of you.

As a classroom teacher in one of the creative design disciplines, I always found sketchbooks to be a valuable tool and assignment for students. Though low-tech, sketchbooks are a wonderful way for students to begin to discipline themselves in the documentation of observations and ideas. Each school year I introduced sketchbooks in the first week of class and required students to sketch daily; they were required to submit their sketchbooks to me 2-3 times per grading period for a completion check only. Sometimes we did sketches in class, but most of the time their sketches were completed outside of my class. I let them begin with pencil and about half way through the year, I required them to shift to pen for sketching (no erasing!). They grumbled VERY LOUDLY, but many have thanked me after the fact for "forcing" this exercise in hand-eye coordination on them. So that they wouldn't complain too loudly, I joined them in the sketchbook exercises. It was good for me too and I enjoy looking back through my old sketchbooks every so often. They are a source of insight and inspiration for me.

I came across this wonderful sketchbook project the other day and thought I would share. Perhaps you will find a way to incorporate the idea into your lesson plans.

The Sketchbook Project: 2011
This awesome project provides a way for submitted sketchbooks to be exhibited at galleries and museums across the US! After the tour, all sketchbooks will become part of a permanent collection of The Brooklyn Art Library where they will be housed available for the public to view.


The sketchbook project sounds like fun; let’s sketch together!

No comments:

Post a Comment